I'll try posting the pictures at 5:00 CDT. Blogger is giving me an error right now. Here's the text:
Hi, everyone. I'm participating in a contest tonight called a "blog hop" (which reminds me a little of pub crawls in college but without the hangover) at the PaperTrey Ink forum. I've never done a contest before, but it sounded like fun. First, you had to register and then 25 random entries were chosen for tonight's blog hop (no talent was required :)). Luckily, I was picked 25th of the 25 random names, so I'm happy to be able to participate! It's very exciting, though I'm sure I won't win with all the talented people on the PTI board. I really only make cards when I'm done scrapping and before I put all the gear away/throw the scraps. The challenge was to use a swatch sheet of the April PP, along with one or more PTI products. Unfortunately, I'd purchased both the previous sets of PP in both sizes, but not this month. But I did get the April cardstock and ribbon (too yummy!). As soon as I saw the swatches, I thought of doing a paper piecing project, which I'd never done before. I wanted to find a giraffe design, but I could not get the dingbat to print out large enough. So I looked at the paper designs again and decided to go with a Monarch butterfly. I printed the butterfly dingbat in brown ink on white cardstock. Because I don't have a lightbox, I then cut out each piece from the template, traced it on the swatch sheet, cut it out, inked it up, ran it through the Xyron X and then adhered. Then repeat 25 more times (yes, there are a total of 26 paper piecings on the card). I think my little Cutterbee scissors were smokin' at the end! I printed the swatches out on both white and ivory cardstock. I used the print on white for the top of the butterfly and the print on ivory for the bottom. It gives it a subtle color gradiation from top to bottom. I then printed a mirror image and colored it with 4 colors for Versamagic chalk ink and 4 Zig markers (Copics are on my wish list). Then I cut out the pieced imaged and adhered it with pop dots over the colored image. I then matted it on PTI Summer Sunrise cs and then on a Bazzill brown. I also liked the look of the lined envelopes I'd seen on Taylor Van Bruggen's blog, so I printed the butterfly dingbat image again over the swatch sheet and adhered it inside the envelope. It has a pretty cool, graphic look. I liked pairing a traditional-looking card with something bold and fun! I also made 4 more cards with the supplies out that you can see below. Anyway, I plan to give this card to my Grandma for her May 6th birthday. You can't give a card you spent 4 hours making to just anyone! Heehee...
Supplies for contest card: PTI swatch sheets printed on Wausau white and Wausau ivory cs (both 65#), butterfly dingbat downloaded online, Summer Sunrise cs, brown Bazzill cs, 4 Zig markers and 4 Versamagic chalk inks, 1 PTI envelope
Supplies added to other cards: PTI Lemon Tart cs, PTI Summer Sunrise and Lemon Tart ribbon, and "Birthday wishes" sentiment from PTI Butterfly Kisses stamp set.
Thanks for looking!
Kristen
Friday, April 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment