Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snow

Having lived in Wisconsin my whole life, I can tell you that we generally pride ourselves on not being wimpy about snow. But I've got to say that the 23.5" of snow we had in 24 hours this week was a surprise. I don't think I remember this much snow at once, ever (and I know those of you in the UP are laughing about the measly two feet of snow!). The kids and Tom missed two days of school. Too bad there's never a snow day for me as a telecommuter... Anyway, here are some pictures...
Picture 1 is the garbage truck, stuck in the road in front of our house, on the second day after we'd been plowed out.
Picture 2 is where we WON the snowdrift lottery. See the dry pavement? Our driveway. See the house with the snow drifted up to the front door? The next-door neighbors. Our houses are all up on little hills and the front yards slope downward toward the road, so it's hard to capture how much snow there really was in photos. The neighbors one more door down had to dig a tunnel to their front door. And the drifts at the kids' school across the street were above the doors. This was the first time I remember having to shovel the snow down to a point at which the snowblower would work.
Picture 3 is the front yard. Notice the submerged fire hydrant (which is on low ground) and the neighbor's mail box (that they later had to dig out after the plow finally came through).

No comments: