Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!




I saw this adorable skirt on Amy's blog. I loved it so much that I found the exact same clover fabric at JoAnn's and made a total of 4 skirts (two for my 7-year-old girls and two for my adorable 3-year-old twin nieces, Karmin and Katrina). The neutral fabric is a putty Essex linen/cotton blend ordered from Sew Mama Sew. Love that linen! And it makes a gorgeous backdrop for embroidery or bright fabrics--reminds me of kraft cardstock--love it!
All 4 girls wore their skirts today (I have photographic proof). First photos of my girls were taken early this morning. You can see Paige doing an Irish jig in the driveway and Brooke laughing out loud. After school, it was SO WARM (about 50 degrees) that they tested out the skirts on the swingset, complete with their snow boots. Since the snow just melted within the last week or so, there's mud everywhere...

Thanks to Amy for the exceedingly adorable idea. Check out her blog. Her cathedral windowa wall quilt is stunningly GORGEOUS, as is her skirt made from Anna Maria Horner's Little Folks voile...my voile just arrived and I'm making Easter dresses for the girls, but I didn't realize it was SO SHEER. Had to place another order for the plain voile to use as lining fabric today...the voile is on sale at Banberry Place and orders over $100 qualify for free shipping (not that I'd know about that sort of thing)...I've been trying hard to justify all this fabric purchasing as my 40th birthday present to myself--I'm going to see if I can make that last a whole year...

4 comments:

Amy Friend said...

Kristen, I am so pleased that you took the time to write to me and share these pictures! I am delighted that you made FOUR of these skirts! My daughter wore her skirt today too (and last week, and the week before!). I like that material for the bottom band because it reminds me of shamrocks but it isn't so the skirt can really be worn any time. You did a great job! I hope my brief tutorial was enough.
I did run into you on Flickr. And thanks to you...I just ordered more voile! I had been looking for the rose to line another skirt. Thanks for mentioning the sale. That material is getting to be so hard to find! I wish it were cheaper but I haven't made clothes for myself in ages so it is about time. I look forward to seeing your Easter dresses.
Please visit my blog again...and join Potholder Pass 3 for May if you would like!

Susan said...

What gorgeous models!! Those skirts are super cute! I've missed seeing you on the PTI forums. Hope you are doing well!!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is adorable. You did a great job. I would love to learn how to sew. I just recently started sewing on my cards. Nice job.

Lee Anne said...

Those skirts are beautiful. You have made me miss sewing; I used to just love it. You have some wonderful models there too. Thanks for sharing!