Here is another set of "in progress" photos. My favorite thing in the whole room is the floor. I LOVE it. I went to the flooring store with some pictures of a floor that looked like the large lineoleum tiles used in public buildings. I really like the look of linoleum (a little weird, I know!). Anyway, after looking at every kind of vinyl and tile flooring in the flooring store, I hadn't seen anything I liked. Then the owner told me about a new flooring called Mode from Armstrong that has a retro look. This is it! The flooring was so new that he didn't have the display up yet and he gave me his only brochure. It's very comfortable flooring if you are standing for a while, and easy to clean. I needed a floor that I could roll my chair across and also one that was easy to clean. That eliminated carpet, tile (think of ink spilled in grout lines) and wood laminate (since we were putting that in the adjoining TV room). So I was down to vinyl or vinyl tile. This floor was PERFECT! I had already chosen the cabinetry (Shaker-style cabinets from Homecrest's Sedona line in a natural finish), hardware (matte black hardware also from Homecrest), and countertop (Wilsonart Laminate--Smoky Topaz). But the floor required a new paint choice. I went with the terra cotta color (why go beige when you can have color?). It is Pittsburgh Paints 329-6--Amaretto. The first few coats looked a little pink, but it turned out perfectly. Tinted primer was the key. The little drawers sitting on the cabinets are called "apothecary drawers". As soon as I saw them, I thought they'd be perfect for storing embellishments. The room is 10 x 13 and contains 4 walls of cabinetry. The kitchen designer said it was the most cabinetry she's ever put into a room that wasn't a kitchen. Of course, I didn't want to think about the fact that replacing the kitchen cabinets probably would have been a more practical use of money. Clearly, this room was meant for my enjoyment and not for resale value. We definitely plan to stay a while!
Saturday, May 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kristen! This is absolutely beautiful!! I can't wait until you post photos of it with all the pretties and goodies in place!! We will be building a house soon (as soon as we sell our house) so this is truly inspirational for me. My DH mentioned that he wanted to put kitchen cabinets and countertops in my new space. Now that I see yours, I'm all for it!!
WOW!!! I love your new scrapspace.....I would love to see it the next time that I'm in the Kenosha area...should be next August when I come up for a wedding!...Great job remodeling it.
Robin (tqmnurse from tallyscrapper)
http://tqmnurse.blogspot.com
Post a Comment